Sunday, May 6, 2007

Installing TikiWIki

Using siteground.com, it's not too tough to install tikiwiki. Once you have your domain name set up, you have access to your cpanel. Cpanel is a utility that allows you to manage your site without knowing unix or programming. To find cpanel, login, and click as shown below.



You'll see the following options. Click on cpanel and login.



When CPanel comes up, ignore most of it for now. Click on Fantastico at the bottom.



Fantastico is a installer. You'll use it to install tikiwiki. Once fantastico comes up, click on tikiwiki.


Then, select new installation. Notice that tikiwiki has been installed on karateforge.com. This same tool is used for future upgrades.

Choose your domain to install. In this case, the one we are building, how2why4.com. Then click install. Notice that the administrator login is set as admin with password admin.



If all goes well, you'll see something similar to the following, and can click "finish".



The next item of business, after fantastico installation, and you should do it right away, is to change your admin password before someone else does. Go to the site how2why4.com and login:


Use the admin login and admin password. The system will force you to change the password as follows.




Tikiwiki is installed and you're set up as the administrator.

Now, to tell the whole truth, I actually had a little trouble. I am installing not my first domain, but one of several on my account. I purchased the domain name how2why4.com for $14.95, but I forgot to purchase a domain slot. So, I set up a subdomain, when I should have set up an addon domain. I could get to the site by a more complicated path than the domain name, but I couldn't get to the domain name itself. This frustrated me.

If you've followed the path, you know that I got the problem resolved. It's not unusual to have some problems. What's unusual in my experience, is the level of support I got from the help desk at siteground. Once I filed a trouble ticket, they turned it around in a matter of no more than 3 minutes. They explained to me what I did without calling me names, and I got it fixed.


In the next post, we'll talk about what we want to do with the site, so we have an idea about what configuration options to choose.

No comments: